Behind the Curtain Interview with Briana Beebe

Sheila Stern, Reporter

Taylor Yuan
Beebe (middle) acts alongside Ellie Olsen, 12, and Ethan Lahm, 12, in the fall play Peter and the Starcatcher.

Briana Beebe, a senior at Arapahoe High School, was the assistant director and a supporting character for the school’s recent production of Peter and the Starcatcher. Beebe applied for assistant director for this show in particular because she read Peter and the Starcatcher with her sister when she was younger, and she had looked up to the past student directors like Eden Goodiel, Julia Witcher, Caroline Riley, Caroline Clark, and Emiline Franks. Beebe also said that “there are a lot of opportunities to have a say in things and I had a lot of ideas for what I wanted it to look like.” Two weeks until opening night Beebe was suddenly playing a supporting character for the production as well as being the assistant director. When asked about her experience of learning a new role in a short amount of time, Beebe said, “It was really stressful mostly because I feel like I didn’t really fit the part as well as I had in past parts I have been cast as but it was definitely a challenge for me.” Despite the challenge, Beebe was thankful for her experience because it helped her grow as an actor. When comparing her roles as an assistant director and an actor Beebe said, “they’re completely different worlds on one side you’re watching it and you’re seeing all the things that you never see as an actor when you on stage, it’s just a completely different perspective like literally and metaphorically.”