A Confirmed Case of COVID-19 at Arapahoe High School

Skylynn McDowell, Associate Editor

On September 16, 2020, Principal Natalie Pramenko sent out an email to Arapahoe families and staff about a confirmed case of COVID-19 within Arapahoe’s walls. A total of thirty students and four teachers were deemed to be in close contact with the virus and have been ordered to a two week quarantine. All other students and staff will continue school in the hybrid model. The following text is the official email from the principal:

September 16, 2020

Dear Arapahoe High School Students, Staff, and Families:

We are currently working with the Tri-County Health Department as they investigate and manage a positive COVID-19 student case at Arapahoe High School. Each instance is evaluated individually, and the best possible plan is developed in order to keep students and staff healthy as much as possible.
In working with Tri-County Health, all students and staff who were determined to be in close contact with the student will be quarantined for the next 14 days. They will move to extended temporary remote learning through September 28. This includes 4 staff members and 30 students. They have been notified by Tri-County Health that they need to quarantine and the steps they should take.
If you have NOT been contacted, your student was NOT in close contact with the student who tested positive and your student is NOT quarantined. There is no change to your child(ren)’s schedule and they can continue to attend school as planned.
We ask that all Arapahoe students and staff continue to monitor daily for COVID-19 symptoms. If symptoms develop:

Notify the school.
Follow these isolation instructions.
Have your child tested.
Continue to keep your child home from school and avoid other activities around other people.
Seek medical care and testing for COVID-19, calling your doctor before you arrive.
If you have further questions, please contact Tri-County Health Department, at 303-220-9200. You can also contact the LPS Director of Student Support Services, Melissa Cooper, 303-347-3472, or the school nurse consultant, Charlotte Brazelton, 720-951-3853. Additional resources are available on the Tri-County Health Department website: https://www.tchd.org/.

It’s important to remember that legally we cannot share the names of those who test positive; it’s also important that we respect and maintain the privacy of our students, staff and families. Rest assured that Tri-County Health and staff at Arapahoe High School are following up with those who need to be informed. Keeping all of our students, staff, and families safe is our highest priority.
District Operations and Maintenance staff are following all Tri-County Health protocols to complete additional deep cleaning procedures. HVAC filters will be removed and replaced. HVAC units will run over night to ensure that outside air is circulating through the affected areas.

Please remind your children of the importance of wearing their mask correctly, remembering to wash their hands, and continuing to physically distance.
Thank you for your understanding, patience, and continued partnership as we all work together to keep our students, staff, and families healthy and safe.

Sincerely,
Natalie Pramenko
Principal, Arapahoe High School

Melissa Cooper
Director of Student Support Services
Littleton Public Schools