Galvanize field trip provides glimpse into future of computer programming education

September 17, 2015

For students enrolled in the new Computer Science course, the two hour delay of late start on Sept. 16 – time many people used to cram in a couple extra hours of sleep – was spent on a brief yet compelling field trip to one of two Galvanize locations in Denver. Galvanize is a community of innovators with the common goal to expand the reach of computer science resources as well as educate the next generation of programmers. The company also caters to team collaboration by renting out work spaces to a spectrum of tech corporations ranging from startups to major companies such as Pandora.

The visit was coordinated by technology instructor, Karl Fisch, and provided those in attendance with a greater understanding of the application of computer programming in the real world. Students were shown a sample of the more dynamic environment waiting beyond a structured classroom setting. Upon their arrival to the facility, the group was introduced to Graham McBain, whose responsibilities include working as a developer and public speaker on the business’s behalf. He provided further information about the background of Galvanize such as its array of successful alumni as well as support of entrepreneurs in startup companies much like itself. Students were also given the opportunity to tour the work space where they were encouraged to embrace the potential of their own ambitions in the varying fields of work related to computer sciences.

“If you have a mind for math and a mind for looking at huge swathes of data and coming up with information from it, then data science is a really good place to be; and it is only going to get bigger. We are creating more data every day. The more sensors that are out there, the more phones we have and the more data that is going to be created the more scientists we are going to need,” McBain said.

This opportunity for growth applies to all areas of computer science and this mindset was reflected by Galvanize’s work environment. The facility had a creative aura that perfectly resembled a startup: captivating and energetic with a sense of imminent greatness. This rubbed off on the students as they contemplated the exciting future on the way back to school.

Galvanize showed the students that computer science may be an old art form but when the right interests are sparked you can create a something that changes the world.

Visit the Galvanize website for more information: http://www.galvanize.com/about/