‘The Night Before’ is Phenomenal

Jake Reed, Spear Contributor

On the surface, “The Night Before” may seem like your average drug filled, let’s-get-naughty Christmas buddy comedy; however, in reality, it possesses a shocking amount of depth and self awareness. Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Anthony Mackie star as best friends from high school who celebrate Christmas every year following a dedicated set of traditions. When family, fame, and commitments get in the way, they realize this year will be their last to party as hard as possible. Each character faces their own set of flaws an personal problems: Mackie’s character is a football player who’s a little too self absorbed, Rogen is a future father trying to grapple with the responsibility of a new baby, and Levitt is trying to find his own place in the world and grow up. The film is hilarious from start to finish, with as many raunchy jokes and scenarios as any high school male could ever hope for. Also, many classic storylines such as “A Christmas Carol” are weaved in or parodied. The movie gets more entertaining as the merry band of characters travels to bigger and bigger parties, resulting in a whole lot of mayhem. The story arcs are constructed perfectly; every character manages to learn a lesson or two and they finally find happiness and the spirit of Christmas. Although “The Night Before” won’t be the last film I see this holidays, I can already confirm that it’s one of the best.

RATING: 96/100