Swimming to Success

Junior Nicole Seavall, swimming the 500 Freestyle

The 2015-2016 Arapahoe High School Girls Swim Team finished out the season 4th in state, with some very successful swims. Delaney Smith placed first in the 200 IM becoming the  state champion and narrowly missing the Arapahoe pool record by one tenth of a second. Laurel Eiber placed 3rd in state in both of her events, and broke one of her own personal records. The 200 freestyle relay placed 1st in the state and the 400 freestyle relay was also very successful, each relay set a new team record. State is the culmination of a great season for the girls, and it is also the last high school season the senior girls will ever swim.

Captains Shilan Schecter, Katie Sanders, Taylor Verbsky, and Izzy Benasso will each be leaving High School Swimming this year, but not swimming as a whole. “I want swimming to always be a part of my life, I love the water” says Captain Katie Sanders, “I’m so lucky and thankful to have been part of an amazing program”. The girl’s comment that their lives will “most likely always include swimming”, and not just because of the team but also, because “Coach Richmond gave us a place to feel included”, says Captain Shilan Schecter. Overall, it seems that the team’s dedication helped each person individually achieve their goals. Schecter says “Everyone worked really hard, and it really showed at A-League and state”. Captain Taylor Verbsky agrees, “it was one of the best swim seasons overall for the team. And I think it was one of the best seasons as a team. We were very united.” As a whole, the girls all seem to agree that the season was very successful, each captain was proud of the team as a whole.

Looking forward to the season next year, there are about 20 juniors on Varsity making a large Senior slot. Captains voting happened at the banquet, so the captains will be announced the first day of the season for 2016-2017. The Senior captains leaving the team said that the only advice they have for the incoming freshman, is “you get out what you put in. If you apply yourself and work hard, you will have amazing results”. After a season filled with hard work, the Seniors will be sad to leave. The Juniors will be eager to try and fill their spots, and the incoming Freshman will hopefully seamlessly transition and help make next season as successful as this one.