4 Books to Read this Fall

Taylor Jaeger, Spear Reporter

Have to read a book for school? Feel like reading for fun? Well I’m here to recommend some books for those needs.

As a reader I have read many books, many of them I love to share with others, so that’s what I’m going to do now. Here are some books/book series that anyone might like, with a brief summary of each of the books.

5th-waveweb

-The Fifth Wave series by Rick Yancey

Many people have seen trailers for the movie adaption that came out in January of 2016 but some people don’t realize that it was a book first. This book is a favorite for many people including myself. Here is a brief summary: Set in present day Ohio, the story follows a young girl named Cassie Sullivan as she tries to survive her world that has been invaded by things she calls ‘The others’. The others have pushed the world back into the stone age by using five waves of destruction, First Wave- Light’s out, Second wave- Surf’s up, Third Wave- Pestilence, Fourth Wave- Silencer, Fifth Wave- No one Knows, but it’s coming. Follow Cassie as she sets out on a mission to find her brother and survive in the world she once knew.  

-The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Claremortal-instruments-book-1web

The first book in the Mortal Instruments series was the City of Bones, which came out in 2007, and the most recent was City of Heavenly Fire from 2014. The series tells an intense story spread across six novels in total. It is also a New York Best Seller.Here is a brief summary: Sixteen year old Clary Fray sets out to celebrate her birthday with her best friend Simon Lewis at a club, the Pandemonium, where she witnesses two men and a women kill a man in front of everyone, but she is the only one who sees it. After her mom is kidnapped from their home, Clary Fray must go on a long and strange adventure including Demons, Downworlders, and Shadowhunters, all people from the Shadow World to try and save her mom from a shadowhunter set on Shadow World domination: Valentine Morgenstern.

infernal-devicesweb

-The Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare

This series first came out in March of 2013. The series has a total of three books and is a prequel to The Mortal Instruments series. It explains the ancestry behind the Mortal Instruments but that doesn’t mean you have to read the TMI books first. Here is a brief summary: This series follows Tessa Gray, a young, orphaned girl who discovers she has the ability to shapeshift, an ability that belongs to warlocks, but she doesn’t have a defining warlock mark. This gift sends her into a whole new world that she never knew existed. She will have to learn how to master this ability to find her brother Nate, but she soon learns that she can’t do it alone. Tessa learns she has to forge an alliance with the Shadowhunters of the New York Institute, Will Herondale, Jem Carstairs, Henry and Charlotte Branwell, as well as many other Downworlders such as the warlock Magnus Bane and the vampire Camille Belcourt.

-The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

testing-serieswebThis is the first book in The Testing series that includes three books. It’s a dystopian series that many say reminds them of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The book isn’t as popular as most but that doesn’t take away from the amazing story, here is a brief summary: The seven stages of war left the world a charred wasteland. The generations since the war have been rebuilding to try and return the world to what it once was, but to be one of the people who are trying to rebuild, candidates are chosen to try and pass The Testing , which is their one chance at getting into a college and getting a rewarding future. Cia Vale is one of the few students that get to go to The Testing, but the night before she leaves her father hints towards a darker side of the testing: Trust no one. Follow Cia as she learns what truly happens in The Testing, and if she can make it through all of the events.
These are some of my personal favorites. I hope you enjoy some of the series on the list, keep reading everyone.