Field Hockey Update: Starting off the season with a great start

The field hockey team is celebrating a great win with a score of AHS 5 - Smoky Hill 0

Erik Sabato

Andrew Chalmers, Writer

The Arapahoe field hockey team was ranked 5th overall at the start of the season.. Led by captains Megan England, Amber Wennerstrom, and All-State senior Abbie Chalmers, the Warriors started the season on Aug. 26 with an amazing 5-0 win against Smoky Hill High School. The team played very well in their other home game against St. Mary’s High School on Sept. 4, but sadly the game ended in a tie 2-2.

This year marks the 4th season of Arapahoe field hockey.  Every year since the creation of the program, the Warriors have won more games than the season before. If this streak continues, there is a good chance the Warriors will have their first playoff run this year. 

Everyone on the team always works together, which directly contributes to the team’s overall success. Abbie Chalmers and Neave Murray lead the defence, Amber Wennerstrom, Taylor Sabato, Caroline Weiss and Brynn Dzengelewski lead the midfield, and Megan England and Kaitlynn Pfannschmidt lead the forwards. The girls always support each other and always put their best effort forward.

The Warriors will usually play their home games on Arapahoe’s new turf field. They were the first sport to play on the new field. The turnout for the game was incredible and the crowd helped push the Warriors to a 5-0 victory. 

Their next home game is on Sept. 9 at 6:30 at Arapahoe against Dakota Ridge High School. Come support your Arapahoe Field Hockey team.