Boy’s Soccer Off to Solid Start After a Disappointing Playoff Loss Last Year

Jack Winslow, Sports Journalist

Last year’s Arapahoe Boys Soccer Team was one of the best we’ve seen in recent years, with talent that matched right up to the Arapahoe team of 2018, who won a state title. With dynamic goal scorer Caleb Ballard and a brick wall of a keeper Alex Bissett, the Warriors, holding the Number 1 spot in 5A for most of the season, seemed destined for a chance at the title. The first two rounds of the playoffs were smooth sailing, with the team capturing two 7-0 wins in a row. However, disaster struck in the third round, as Marshall Gueller, one of the team’s senior leaders, was given a red card after he stepped over a Castle View player. While most believe a red card should not have been given, the ref decided to do so. Arapahoe ended up being on the wrong side of a huge momentum swing following that crucial play, and they never recovered, suffering a 3-0 loss to end the season. This left returning players with a chip on their shoulders.

This year’s Warriors are off to a 5-1-1 start, with a tie to Heritage and a 1-0 loss to the now Number 1 in 5A Legacy. Led by senior captains Andrew Chalmers, the teams leading goal scorer, Kevin Andersen, who carries along his brother’s legacy (who was a part of that state championship team), and Xavier Delachapelle, a midfielder who directs and leads with ease. I had the opportunity to speak with Xavier and Andrew earlier this week, who were both filled with energy and passion for the rest of the season. When I asked them about their next game against Rampart, Xavier responded, “they are a feisty team.” Unfortunately, after junior goalkeeper Drew Barber’s red card against Rocky Mountain last game, he will be out for this game as well. To add to the wildness of the situation, the team does not have a backup keeper, so junior forward Patrick Buckley will be starting at goalie. Andrew Chalmers only had high praise for Patrick, saying “I think he’s a really solid player. We’re gonna miss him on the field, but he’s a world-class goalkeeper.” They’ll need him to step up in a big way as they take on Rampart next Tuesday at 7:00 pm on the road. 

Next Game: Tuesday 9/20 at 7:00 pm at Rampart High School