ArapahoeXtra

Girls Hoops Gears Up For Success

Brandon Dryer and Henry Kline

Your Arapahoe Women’s basketball team kicks off their season tonight against Monarch as they participate in the Rock Canyon Tournament. The Warriors come in at 15 in the preseason CHSAA polls and look to have a strong season as they return eight varsity players to the roster. Captains Mia Middleton, Maggie Wortman and Eliana Mcclarie lead a roster that hopes to start their season off with a bang.

Maggie Wortman, who put up 115 total points last season describes the keys to the team’s success saying, “We aren’t a very tall team this year so we will have to dominate the run game and play fast.” She added, “It is also important that we play as a team and keep a positive mindset.”

Monarch is ranked 10th in the state but the girls are buzzing about their first game and know that their run game and defense will be critical in tonight’s game. Senior Mia Middleton says, “I think everyone is really excited about this game so I think we will win.”

The team coached by Jerry Knafelc plays in one of the most challenging conferences: Centennial League. They also play one of the most grueling non-conference schedules with teams like rivals Heritage, Highlands Ranch and Lakewood. This strength of schedule not only matches the team’s ambition to perform well this season but also reflects the kind of team Arapahoe is: very strong.

Mia Middleton, who had 15 blocks last season explained how even though they are not a big team, they still have the personal to win games. Mia said, “we have a really fast team this season, and we have all been playing together for a really long time.” She wants Arapahoe fans to look out for Maggie Wortman, who was the starting shooting guard on last years playoff team. “She is one of our best shooters this season.”

Come out and support your lady hoopsters and catch their first home game on December 7th.

About the Writers
Brandon Dryer, Spear
Brandon Dryer is a junior at Arapahoe High School. This is his first year on the Spear team. He has played played baseball his first two years of high school and plans to continue his baseball career. His favorite sports teams are the Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies, and the Boston Red Sox. He also likes...
Henry Kline, Reporter
Henry Kline is a senior at Arapahoe and has been involved in the journalism department for three years. Henry plays club soccer year round and enjoys playing and watching a variety of sports. Henry wants to be a sports journalist when he grows up hoping to one day work for ESPN. His favorite sports team...