ArapahoeXtra

NFL Trade Deadline Possibilities

Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
Sep 10, 2017; Green Bay, WI, USA; Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas (29) during the game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

Nathan Holmes, Spear CEO

The NFL has been full of twists and turns through 7 weeks, and leading up to the trade deadline, lots of hype surrounds several players switching teams. While the chances of these trades are sometimes unlikely, it would help both teams immensely. Here they are:

1. Patrick Peterson to the Bucs

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Sep 30, 2018; Glendale, AZ, USA; Arizona Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson (21) against the Seattle Seahawks at State Farm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The Buccaneers are desperate for defensive help. Brent Grimes is nearing retirement, and behind him, practically no one decent is on the Buccaneers at the CB position. This trade is unlikely, due to the cost the Bucs would have to give up to get a player like Peterson.

2. Demaryius Thomas to the Colts

Sports Illustrated

The Indianapolis Colts need WR help. T.Y. Hilton is a good speedy receiver, but a smart possession receiver would help reduce the 19 dropped passes in the past 3 weeks. This trade is actually fairly likely, considering the cap space and picks the Colts have. The Dallas Cowboys are another potential suitor.

UPDATE: Denver just traded Thomas to the Texans with a 7th round pick for a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick

3. Amari Cooper to the Cowboys

NFL Analysis Network

If the Cowboys decide to pass on Thomas, they would be more than happy to acquire Cooper, at the right price, of course. As of now, the Raiders want too much for him, but with his recent concussion, they might lower their price.

UPDATE: This trade just happened minutes after this was posted. Dallas sent Oakland a 1st round draft pick for Cooper.

4. Le’Veon Bell to the Bills

I know what you are thinking: the Bills? That’s what I thought until just recently. LeSean McCoy is a disaster this year: injury-riddled,  in legal trouble, and not performing well whatsoever. I think that the Bills could make an aggressive push for Bell considering the loss of QB Josh Allen, and the importance of the run game in their offense.

5. LeSean McCoy to the Eagles

If the Bills acquire Bell, they might attempt to cut their losses by dumping McCoy off for a late round draft pick. Jay Ajayi is out for the year and is entering free agency this offseason. McCoy is neither of those.

Honorable Mention: Earl Thomas to the Chiefs

The Chiefs and the Cowboys need safeties, and Earl Thomas’s time in Seattle is over, whether you like it or not. He is on IR, so he can be traded, but most teams are unlikely to trade for an injured player.

About the Writer
Nathan Holmes, Spear CEO

Nathan is a junior on the Varsity Spear. He is in the midst of his 3rd year with the Spear and as first term as a Spear Co-CEO (With Olivia Janicek) and...