ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

Recent Sports Scores

Winter Holiday Traditions

Winter Holiday Traditions

The winter season is finally here! Winter break for Arapahoe High School is finally arriving. It is a highly anticipated day, where many students are just waiting for that Friday bell to ring to go home and have a two week break. There are plenty of winter holidays that different people celebrate all around the world.  We were curious what different people do over the holidays and the traditions that they celebrate. So we surveyed students from Arapahoe High School to better understand their celebrations.  While receiving the results from our survey we got answers to some of these questions, What are your holiday traditions? Who do you celebrate your traditions with? Etc. 

We asked on a scale of one to five how excited students were for the holidays.  46.8% said they were ready and excited for this joyful season. Looking over the information we were able to gather a deep explanation of what students’ holidays look like. We found out that Christmas is the most popular celebration for students at Arapahoe High school.

During this Christmas holiday there are factors of secular(which means religious) , Non secular( Non religious) or both. The overall results show that 27.9% of students celebrate Christmas as a religious(secular)holiday and 31.1% of students celebrate it as both. Some explain they have a catholic family so their holiday focuses on Jesus and some say they just celebrate with ordinary Christmas traditions. 

We wanted to know what traditions students celebrate so we did some research and found out making cookies and opening presents was a popular one that most people do with their families on Christmas day. Students decorate their trees, celebrate together and go to light shows all over town. The decorations on their homes over the season is a tradition that reoccurs every year for more than half of the students that took our survey. 

Traditions are valuable to most people.  86.4% of people  conclude that traditions bring their families closer together over this season.  This holiday  students feel many emotions, some say they feel stressed out having to get gifts for all their family members, others say it is the happiest season. Looking at the different things each family does it really will make you realize that being there for the people that you love and who love you really means a lot to them.  

We asked if people liked the traditions that they celebrated. Some people said that they did it because they are special to them.  We also asked if people were traveling for the holidays this year.  22.6% said that they were traveling somewhere this year.  77.4% Said that they were staying home for the holiday season. 

We concluded that even with a little family fighting throughout the season traditions can make their christmas happier than ever.  Without traditions  Christmas would be dull and sad. Receiving and reviewing all this information we were able to grasp the feeling of what this holiday really means for everyone , and the importance of valuing all families and traditions in this winter season.