ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

Recent Sports Scores

Embracing The Warrior Spirit: AHS End-Of-Semester Traditions

AHS staff showing their support for “Deliberate Acts of Love and Kindness Week” last winter.

Traditions here at Arapahoe have many special meanings to our community, and as the holidays are coming up, a lot of old traditions are coming around again. 

The Deliberate Acts of Love and Kindness Week is one of the most important traditions at Arapahoe and is executed every year the week of December 13th. The week is designed to commemorate Claire Davis’ legacy at Arapahoe High School and our community’s healing after the tragedy that occurred in our community 10 years ago. 

The Davis family didn’t want the Deliberate Acts of Love and Kindness Week to be a sad week full of grieving, but more of a time where we are all reminded why being kind is so important.

The week starts off by all students and administrators getting a purple shirt as they enter the building on Monday, December 11th and Tuesday, December 12th to wear on Wednesday in support of the Davis family. On Friday, the entire school will wear Black and Gold as the Arapahoe Singers carol in the halls during TRIBE.

Arapahoe’s activities director, Mrs. Kuhlmann, told us, “Claire’s family wanted business to go on as usual during this week but also wanted to make sure all staff members who were impacted 10 years ago were honored and letters of gratitude were used as the theme for Claire’s commemoration.” 

Kuhlmann also told us that the first few years of the Deliberate Acts of Love and Kindness week were very difficult on students and staff who were still mourning the loss of Claire in their community. However as time has passed, the week has become more positive and community building for Arapahoe although Claire Davis will always be remembered.

Other traditions around this time of year include the Blood Drive in the Aux. Gym, ugly sweater day, the Cram Fest with Link Leaders, the winter choir concert, the Heritage Vs. Arapahoe basketball game, and the toy drive that goes to the kids at Field Elementary.

The Cram Fest is a period of studying for finals where freshmen can get tips and study with their Link Leaders. Kuhlmann told us that even when she attended Arapahoe as a student, the Cram Fest was happening.

The traditions here at Arapahoe represent who we are as a community and the Deliberate Acts of Love and Kindness Week define who we all are and want to be in the future.