ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

Recent Sports Scores

Tis The Season!

TOP 10 MOST POPULAR CHRISTMAS FOODS

The holiday season is full of traditions, some shared and some unique. For many, Christmas requires a tree, greeting cards, parties, food and the sharing of gifts and fellowship. The history of how Americans celebrate the holidays is as diverse and fascinating as the population.

•  Prime rib: Otherwise known as classic roast beef with bones, was always my meat of choice as a kid, simply because it was so much juicer than turkey. 
  •  THE Christmas Turkey: Moist and tender is a what a Christmas turkey is like. 
  • Stuffing: There are endless possibilities for the ingredients that make up stuffing, but it’s more or less a combination of dried out bread, an herb and spice, mixture, and garlic and finely diced vegetables.
  • Cranberry Sauce: One of the most common side dishes we eat for Christmas is cranberry sauce. It is prepared basically as it sounds, cranberries turned into sauce by being boiled on the stove, but of course sweetened American style with lots of sugar. 
  • Mashed Potatoes: Many cultures around the world eat mashed potatoes for Christmas. In America, it involves the same process of peeling and boiling potatoes, and then mixing them together with milk, butter, and herbs.
  • Christmas Cornbread: Likely one of the most American-specific Christmas foods is cornbread. There is a highly particular way of preparing it that originates from the southern US.
  • Biscuits: More popular dish in the UK but many people in the US like it as well. 
  • Sweet potato casserole: This may sounds like a dessert but more of a perfectly acceptable and normal side dish.
  • Gingerbread Christmas Cookies: They originate in in Germany but The difference in our version of gingerbread cookies is that they often have a layer of icing on top when they’re used for eating. 
  • Apple pie: although pumpkin pie is very popular around Thanksgiving, Apple pie is most popular for Christmas.

Tinley Garvin, Kellyn Anderson, and Morgan Autry interviewed and walked Arapahoe High School and asked “What’s your favorite food you have around the Christmas season. AHS’s list was..

1. Cookies
  2.  Mashed Potatoes
  3. Ham
  4. Chick
  5. Mac & Cheese
  6. Potato Pancakes
  7. Apple Pie
  8. Pizza
  9. Appetizers
  10. Eggplant Parm

Not only do people at Arapahoe High School celebrate christmas but there are also many people who Hanukkah. When we were asked what people’s favorite christmas food we asked what holiday they celebrated. Many of the people that celebrate Hanukkah said that their favorite food to eat around the holidays was potato pancakes. Potato pancakes are similar to hash browns. People typically eat them for dinner. It is important that we are open about the other holidays people celebrate and learning more about it.

WHAT IS THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS?

It is an opportunity to pause and give thanks for the love, hope and joy found in Jesus – our Saviour and friend. As we exchange gifts with loved ones, it is out of remembrance of the gift God gave us in Jesus. The gift that we are loved, are never alone and can have hope for the future.

HISTORY OF CHRISTMAS TREES

The history of Christmas trees has many roots, ranging from the use of evergreens in ancient Egypt and Rome to the German traditions of candlelit trees that made its way to America in the 1800s. Discover the history of the Christmas tree, from the earliest winter solstice celebrations to Queen Victoria’s decorating habits and the annual lighting of the Rockefeller Center tree in New York City.

TOP 10 CHRISTMAS SONGS

1. Jingle Bells
  2. Silent Night
  3. All I Want For Christmas Is You
  4. Frosty the Snowman 
  5. White christmas 
  6. Last christmas 
  7. Silent night 
  8.  Feliz Navidad
  9.  Santa Tell Me
  10. Blue Christmas