ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

ArapahoeXtra

Recent Sports Scores

Phone Pockets- Opinion

Survey results relating to how a community felt about their schools use of phones
Survey results relating to how a community felt about their school’s use of phones

We all love our cell phones, whether we use it to scroll through social media, communicate with family members, play games, or all of the above. We even use our cell phones to access school media. Kids have the choice to use their phones instead of their computers, and also have something to look up a quick question. 

A big conflict between teachers and students at our school is created by the “phone pockets,” which is meant to hold our distractions. A common issue with the cell phone pocket is students not putting their phones in the pocket and getting marked absent or just getting in trouble for having it. 

I think the phone pockets should be changed to something different since some kids might not have a phone to throw in the pocket, and some kids can simply lie about not having their phone to keep it from going in the pocket. I think if the phone pockets were not an incentive to get marked “present” in the class, (Which has absolutely nothing to do with if you have your phone), it would reduce conflict between teachers and students. It would also be a more accepting environment for students who might not even have a phone to put in their pocket, or they just left their phone in their car.