Dystopian and Science Fiction Book Recommendations

Skylynn McDowell, Reporter

We all know of the beloved Hunger Games series, and we most certainly can’t forget about Divergent.  While both great books in my opinion, I enjoy reading other similar books as well. Here are some dystopian/science fiction book recommendations for people who want to further explore the genres.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver is about a girl named Lena who lives in a futuristic United States.  By her time, love has been outlawed and considered a disease. Every citizen at the age of eighteen must have a procedure done known as the Cure, which prevents them from being able to love or fall in love.  Those who fail to follow the government’s strict rules are known as Invalids, and have been banished to the Wilds. Lena has never questioned her way of life, but when she meets someone who comes from the Wilds, a boy named Alex, her life is turned upside down.  Delirium is the first in a series, followed by Pandemonium and Requiem. Lena’s journey is very interesting to follow, and I would definitely recommend this trilogy to fans of Young Adult dystopian and romance.

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

Six kids, Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman, and Angel, are a bit different than other children.  When they were very young, the kids were genetically modified to be only 98 percent human and two percent bird.  This gives them speed, agility, strength, faster healing abilities, and of course, wings. As the leader of the Flock, Max is to keep the group safe from the Erasers, part human and part wolf, who are constantly hunting them.  However, when the Erasers kidnap the youngest, Angel, Max and the group have to save her before it is too late. Along the way, they learn surprising things about themselves and each other and uncover secrets about their past. This book is very unique, and the fast pacing will keep you engaged the whole time.  This book is great for people who enjoy adventure.

Wilder Girls by Rory Power

Raxter School for Girls, located on Raxter Island, is far from perfect.  All of the students and teachers there have been infected with a mysterious disease known as the Tox.  The Tox gives everyone strange traits, such as a second spine or a fish hand. The girls are stranded on the island as they wait for a cure, and only the Boat Crew, the people who collect supplies from a Navy boat, can venture beyond the school gates.  When a student named Hetty gets a position in Boat Crew, she begins to uncover secrets about the island and learns about what is truly going on… This debut novel is great for people who enjoy unique stories.

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau is about a girl named Cia who lives in a dystopian world.  After finishing school, a handful of incredibly smart and talented students are chosen to go through what is known as The Testing.  The Testing gives the students a rare opportunity to attend University if they pass. When Cia is chosen to go to the Testing, she begins to realize that the Testing is much more intense than she could have thought, and not everyone can pass.  If you are a fan of mysterious dystopian, this book is for you.

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James

For sixteen years, Romy has been living on a spaceship traveling away from Earth.  For a few years, she has been completely alone. Being born on the ship, Romy has never seen Earth before.  Now that she is the only person on the ship, it is her job safely navigate to another habitable planet. However, being completely isolated is detrimental to both Romy and the mission.  When Romy finds out that another ship has been launched to assist her in completing the mission, she is able to get in contact with the other ship’s captain, J. As she begins to talk to J, Romy realizes that J’s messages give her something that she hasn’t felt in a long time.  Romy is very excited to meet J when the ships connect, but their first encounter might not be what Romy expected… This book is great for fans of science fiction and twist endings.

The Echo Room by Parker Peevyhouse

This mix between dystopian and science fiction is about a boy named Rett who wakes up in a room with seemingly no way to escape.  He thinks he is alone, until he meets a girl named Bryn who is also trapped inside the room. Rett and Bryn must work together to figure out why they are trapped inside of the room, and most importantly, how to escape.  However, what they could encounter outside of the room could put both of their lives in danger. This is a great book for people who like books with lots of mystery behind them.  

The Martian by Andy Weir

Mark Watney is the kind of guy that everyone loves.  He is funny, smart, and has a very interesting personality.  The only issue is, he is stranded alone on Mars. All by himself, he must find a way to survive and potentially be rescued by NASA.  However, Mark has to face challenges unlike any other, as this is unlike other survival stories. Mark’s journey is incredibly interesting to read about, and I would definitely recommend it for fans of science fiction.