Littleton Public Schools to Return to In-Person Learning in August

On July 7, 2020, Littleton Public Schools announced that all students K-12 will be returning to in-person learning on August 13. This decision was reached by the LPS Restart Task Force, a group of 55 teachers, parents, and other LPS professionals.

Like many other districts in the Denver Metro Area, LPS intends on returning to in-person learning five days a week. In addition, there will be an option for students to complete the 2020 – 2021 school year completely online, as 11% of parents preferred a remote option.  More details on opting for this system will be provided towards the end of this month. 

According to the recent email from LPS, returning students will participate in safety precautions such as:

• Students and staff wearing masks when six feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained; 
  • Frequent handwashing; 
  • Keeping the same students together in small groups as much as possible (cohort grouping) to limit exposure;
  • Reducing the number of students on school buses to one student per seat with masks (which is the current guidance, unless that changes); and 
  • Parents screening younger students and older students self-screening for fever/symptoms at home before they come to school.

As the year progresses, the decision is subject to change. The Restart Task Force also developed a hybrid learning plan if needed. 

In the meantime, LPS Superintendent, Brian Ewert, states that their goal “is to return to ‘normal’ as much as possible,” while still taking proper precautions to help ensure the safety of their staff and students. LPS is making it a priority to stay updated on Colorado Health standards and regulations.