Mental Health Activities

Michaela Powell, Journalist

As teenagers we go through many mental health issues- especially surrounding school. Many of us don’t know how to cope with it and how to distract ourselves. While I do think going to see someone for help is important, I have created a list of easy things you can do to boost your mental health at home on your own!

1.  Coloring

Have you ever felt very anxious and needed something to calm you down? In 2012 Adobe did a survey amongst Americans and the results showed that 52% of people were described as creative (more than any other nationality). Research has shown that we need daily creativity to help us cope with our challenges throughout the week. Coloring books have been found to help with mindfulness and also releases more stress than reading would.

2. Disconnect from technology 

Constant scrolling through phones and seeing other people’s lives can be bad for your mental health. When you take a break from the constant scrolling it can help with closer relationships, increased self worth, moremindfulness, reduced stress, more productivity, and increased focus. Stop being put down by what others are doing online and see your value!

3. Journaling

What has been bugging you lately? What are some things that have made you anxious or put you down? Journaling your feelings or what has been going on can actually improve your mental health. Expressive journaling can help benefit reducing symptoms of depression. In 2006 college students reported that it reduced their attackable pondering thoughts from depression. It also helps with anxiety by calming you down and relieving stress.   Read more on ways to journal and its benefits here! 

4. Spend time with your pets

Do you have a dog, cat, or even a hamster? Did you know that spending more time with your furry friend can boost your mental health? Within just five minutes of interaction with your furry friend it can lower our stress hormones. When interacting with a pet it raises our levels of serotonin and dopamine while releasing oxytocin. Our pets also make us feel wanted and needed. A 2016 study gave crickets to elderly people to take care of and in only 8 weeks they saw taking care of a living thing boosted their mental health. If you don’t have a pet try interacting with a neighbors pet or volunteer at a shelter!

5. Spending more time with friends

Spending more time with friends can benefit you in many ways. It can increase your sense of acceptance, purpose, boosts happiness, helps with coping, self worth, and someone to help you through your struggles. Instead of being locked up in your room all day try and go hang out somewhere with your friends!

Sources:
Why Adult Coloring Books Are Good For Mental Health
Colouring books for adults benefit mental health, study suggests 
The Pet Effect and Its Impact on Your Mental Health.
Can Pet Crickets Improve The Well Being the Elderly
How Friendships Affect Your Physical Mental Health