As it Happened: Arapahoe Warriors Take Down Rangeview Raiders in PKs

Sophomore Spencer Cobb saves one of two penalties to lift Arapahoe above the Raiders

Henry Kline, Reporter

What happened: The ABK men’s soccer team faced off against Rangeview High School on Wednesday night, playing 110 minutes of intensely contested soccer. In the first half, Arapahoe went up one on a goal within five minutes of the opening whistle; however, with less than 30 seconds on the clock, Rangeview pulled level. The second half was hard-fought with both teams unable to capitalize on opportunities in the final third. Regular time ends 1-1.

In added time: With two 15 minute overtime halves to finish the game without a penalty shootout, the ABK Warriors pushed late to seal the game off. Alas, the Warriors efforts were unfruitful, seeing several chances close, but not close enough. A late save from senior goalkeeper Jeremy Belin helped keep the Warriors moving onward.

Penalty Shoot-out: As the overtime expired, both teams set their line up and prepared for a nail-biting PK shoot-out. Rangeview kicked first, slotting their shot just past sophomore goalkeeper Spencer Cobb. A penalty kick saved by Rangeview’s keeper put pressure on the Warriors to not only score out, but to save two penalties to win the game. Working best under pressure Spencer Cobb (above) made two penalty saves and with a goal from Jacob Draudt the Warriors closed out the Raiders 4-3.

Key moment: With so many key performances to choose from it is quite hard to pick just one. However, two clutch penalty saves by sophomore goalkeeper Spencer Cobb to win the game takes the cake.

Heard pitchside: Junior Zach Tripp said this about the game: “Last night’s game was really intense and the whole team fought throughout the entire thing. There were some nerves in us but we mostly believed.The key word for the ABK postseason this year is ‘believe’. We were all believing last night and we will continue that belief for the rest of playoffs.”

Up next: The Arapahoe ABK Warriors will face the number No. 30 team Fossil Ridge High School in the state quarterfinals. Fossil Ridge is coming off two strong wins; one against a very good Creek team.