And I Know We’ll Be There Soon…

David J DeBonis, Gonzo Journalist

–David J DeBonis–

High School was an interesting experience, but I can honestly say that I’ve never been this excited to be finished with something. So why would I sit here and write about that? I’ve learned a lot over the last four years, but a majority of these things were not learned within the walls of a traditional classroom. Looking back, I see that most of my learning came from the relationships I built, and the experiences I shared with my  teachers and fellow classmates.

Twenty years from today, I’m not going to remember the Mesopotamians, and I won’t be able to graph an inverse function. When I look back upon my High School days– flipping through the pages of my Senior Yearbook, nostalgically reflecting upon my youthful years– I will remember all the crazy things my friends and I did on the weekends. I will remember when my passion for writing started, and I will remember how the Arapahoe Herald helped me pursue this passion. I will remember concerts and parties, and I will remember the countless night journeys I took through the illuminated streets of Centennial– finding peace in the passing lines and tending to my longing for the road. I will remember the music; music in headphones, music in the car, music on the speakers in the basement and music anywhere that I could find the beat. I will remember the ranch house on Meadowbrook, and I will remember longboarding for miles and miles until the front range was just beneath our feet and we couldn’t longboard anymore.

After I graduate, my high school GPA will mean nothing, and my degree will collect dust in a box in the closet. It seems to me that my largest growth came from simply living– collecting experiences that have shaped the person I am today. And I think this is a lesson that everyone could benefit from. I am not telling you to blow off school, and I am not telling you to drop out. I am telling you that these four years will pass by quickly, and you will always regret the things you didn’t do.

After graduation, I will be nose diving into the rest of my life without any sort of plan. This is something that is causing me a tremendous amount of anxiety, but simultaneously I am extraordinarily excited to see what this life has in store for me. For the first time ever, I will be completely free to pursue this passion I have for life and adventure. I have learned what I need to know, and it is time for me to take off into the ‘real world’ with my dreams in sight.

I am finishing this article on the last day of deadline, so I do not have any time to think of any more advice. Instead, I will show you the lessons I have learned from my favorite band,

The Grateful Dead.

“Roll away the Dew” — life will throw a lot of crap your way. It’s oftentimes best to let go.

“In every silver lining there’s a Touch of Grey” — Even in the worst of times, find something to be Grateful for.

“Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right” — No matter where you are, keep your eyes wide and your mind open– you just might learn something.

“The grass ain’t greener, the wine ain’t sweeter, either side of the hill” — A unique twist on a classic idiom. Be content with what you have, and never wish away any day.

“[Wake up to find out that] You are the eyes of the world” — Perception is everyting; your thoughts and outlook on the world will have a direct impact on your reality.

“It takes a whole pail of water, just to cool it down” — This one is for my long standing brother and friend, David Carroll.

“And if you go, no one may follow — That path is for, your steps alone” — The life you live is yours and yours only. Always let your heart guide you through this journey.