ArapahoeXtra

Football struggles in season opener

Jake Reed and Rees LaBree

Last Saturday, the Arapahoe Warriors’ varsity football squad travelled to EchoPark Stadium to take on the Rock Canyon Jaguars. They struggled against the home team in a bitter 38-17 contest. This marks the beginning of a transitional season for the Warriors, with former QB Connor Desch being replaced by Junior QB Kevin Lukasiewicz.

Although the Warriors were soundly beaten, they showed potential to improve team chemistry and had a strong passing offense. Senior TE Jake Groth led in receiving, with 135 yards and Arapahoe’s only passing touchdown.

Looking ahead to Friday’s matchup against Heritage, Arapahoe will need to focus on dramatically improving both their defensive line and secondary, which allowed 217 rushing and 249 receiving yards respectively last Saturday. The historic rivalry game will kick off at 7pm on Sep. 8, with the Eagles hosting the Warriors at Littleton Public Schools Stadium.

About the Writers
Jake Reed, Spear CEO
Jake is a senior at Arapahoe who runs Cross Country and is a co-CEO of Spear Broadcasting. In his free time, he enjoys watching sports, going skiing, and appreciating all his last year of high school has to offer. After his senior year, Jake plans to study broadcast journalism and pursue a career in the...
Rees LaBree, SPEAR Contributor
Rees LaBree is a senior at Arapahoe High School writing and serving as the CEO for the Spear. Beyond his involvement with the Spear, Rees runs for the Arapahoe Cross Country Team, competes in DECA and climbs for The Arapahoe Climbing Team. During his free time he curates @stockitchen on Twitter as “Dishwasher” and climbs...