Making it to State: Anna Wetzel

Grace Adamson, Reporter

A-Leagues were this past weekend and Arapahoe placed second behind Cherry Creek and is now overall ranked 4th. With multiple girls on the team setting new league records, one of which being Anna Wetzel. Wetzel is a junior at Arapahoe High School who is one of the sixteen girls going to state this weekend. She swam the 100 breaststroke and finished with a time of 1:04.51. With this time she won her race and set a new league record.

Wetzel has been working all season to get to state. Working hard at practice, working with a trainer, and keeping optimistic have all contributed to getting here. In an interview with her she said that “It is important to work hard inside and out of the pool to achieve the best results. So I think we are really ready for what state has to offer.” The whole team has worked really hard and it has clearly paid off.

With state being this weekend her and the rest of the team are prepared and are getting excited. Each having specific things they want to improve on are looking forward to. Anna said that “I think I am the most excited for the 200 Freestyle relay and my 100 Breaststroke because we are currently seeded first in both of those events”.

This weekend at state Anna Wetzel is going to be swimming in the 200 Medley Relay which is the breaststroke leg of the medley relay, the 50 free, the 100 breast, and the 200 free relay. The team hopes to either stay at 4th place or go up if state goes well. If you want to go out and support Anna and the rest of the team there the competition will be held at the Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center in Thornton. This Friday at 4:00 are swim prelims, Saturday at 9:00 are dive prelims, and Saturday at 3:00 are finals for both swim and dive.