MENU

A New Beginning for Arapahoe Basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Beginning for Arapahoe Basketball

Parker Anderson, Reporter

Just a month after the resigning of Arapahoe Boys Basketball head coach Brad Jansen, a sigh of relief was heard in Sitting Eagle Gymnasium as Troy Pachner was announced to be the new coach of the program on twitter.

Pachner spent the last four seasons at Valor Christian High School located in Highlands Ranch, where he won the Class 4A State title in 2017. Throughout his four years, he went 77-29 (.726 win %) and took his team to the playoffs each year. He has made an appearance in three great eights, two final fours, and two state championship games.

Before his time at Valor Christian he spent 17 years coaching the D’evelyn Jaguars. In those 17 years, he had an overall record of 292-129 (.693 win %).

It has become crystal clear that Athletic Director Pat McCabe has found a winner in Troy Pachner. His experience and poise has led him to transform programs and consistently lead them to win championships. In his first season at Valor, he showed how he is able to adapt and coach at a very high level when he took the Eagles to the programs first-ever state championship in 2016 but unfortunately they were not able to capitalize and lost in the 4A title game. A year later, Pachner took his Valor squad all the way back to the championship game and left the Denver Coliseum with a very different result: a championship.

Since that championship, Pachner had a much earlier than anticipated exit from the tournament in 2018 when he lost to a very talented Pueblo South Team in the Great 8. In 2019 Valor moved up to the Jefferson County 5A league where they had a quite impressive year where they adapted to the level of play quite quickly. They went 11-13 on the year, but each of their losses came to powerhouse teams from both in and out of state.

Personally, I feel that Pachner is exactly what this Arapahoe Boys Basketball program needs. He is a consistent leader who is experienced not only in winning, but winning against the top teams of Colorado. He holds himself in a professional manner that is respected around the state, and he is creating a program filled with excitement for the season, which is something that Sitting Eagle Gymnasium deserves.

About the Contributor
Parker Anderson, Journalist

Parker is a junior at Arapahoe High School. This is Parker's second year on Varsity Spear. His interests are videography, photography, and of course,...