ArapahoeXtra

Filed under Opinions, Showcase

The Case For A Snow Day

patch.com

patch.com

Today, February 20th 2018, has been a bit of a struggle. My mother woke me up this morning, and to my disappointment, I learned that we did not have a snow day or even a delay. I proceeded to get out of bed slowly and eventually got ready for school. When I went to go get in my car, it wouldn’t start. I tried to open the hood, but it was frozen shut. The -2°F weather had frozen everything in the car, making it so the car would not even lock. I missed the first two classes of the day because of this predicament, and still don’t know how I will get home.

Nevertheless, my two younger siblings (Cherry Creek Academy) received today as a snow day, much to my amazement. 9News reported there to be 71 closing alerts today, some in the form of delays. In the past two years, the Littleton Public School District has had zero Snow Days, while the nearby Cherry Creek School District has had four, two per year. Having school on days like this can be very dangerous. Multiple wrecks have occurred by new student drivers, and sometimes even the expert bus drivers get into trouble.

On top of zero snow days, having a delay wouldn’t even affect us high school students. According to LPS’s home page, high schools and middle schools would start at normal time if a delay occurs, but elementary schools would start an hour late. I know, it makes zero sense. Not only do we start school earlier, but we are also the ones driving. High school students would be the ones most affected by the snow, and yet they won’t even help us in any way, shape, or form.

Today should have gone differently. There should have been a snow day, or at least a delay that would affect us, instead of a regular start. Do you agree? Vote below!

Should February 20th Have Been a Snow Day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About the Writer
Nathan Holmes, Spear CEO
Nathan is a junior on the Varsity Spear. He is in the midst of his 3rd year with the Spear and as first term as a Spear Co-CEO (With Olivia Janicek) and is excited for the future of the SPEAR and Xtra.
1 Comment

One Response to “The Case For A Snow Day”

1. Paul Gordon on February 23rd, 2018 11:25 am

One reason that high school students don’t get delays is because of traffic. There are less cars on the road at 7:00 on a snowy day, allowing students to drive with less risk of hurting themselves or others. If they slide out, there is less of a chance of getting into a wreck with another car.

• Video

2018 Homecoming Recap!

• The Case For A Snow Day

Sports

Arapahoe Golf Cruises Into Regionals this Week

• Video

16 Questions with Mr. Schneiderman

• The Case For A Snow Day

News

All of Apples New Items

• The Case For A Snow Day

Features

Behind Arapahoe’s Bonfire

• The Case For A Snow Day

News

Homecoming’s Changes

• The Case For A Snow Day

Sports

Arapahoe Boys Soccer Win Warrior Invitational

• The Case For A Snow Day

Columns

Olivia’s Opinions: I Hate the Hallways

• The Case For A Snow Day

Sports

What to Make of Case Keenum’s First Start

• The Case For A Snow Day

Sports

Rockies Looking to Win Division for First Time in Franchise History

The Case For A Snow Day