MENU
Filed under Columns, Opinions, Showcase

Unpopular Opinion: Gender Equality Seekers Should Fight FOR Kareem Hunt

Disclaimer: The views of this article do not necessarily represent the views of Arapahoe High School or Warrior Media. They are just the views of one person. Others might share these views, and others might disagree. Comment below with your thoughts!

In the span of one day, (now ex) Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt went from practicing for his upcoming Week 13 matchup against the Oakland Raiders to being without a job. During his practice, TMZ released a video (see above) showing his altercation with a woman back in February. When Roger Goodell saw it, he put Kareem Hunt on the Commissioner’s exempt list, meaning that Kareem cannot practice or play for the Chiefs until further notice, but he will remain on the team unless he is cut. Exactly that happened hours later. Chiefs GM Brett Veach released a statement hours later, saying “Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt. At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue. As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact. We are releasing Kareem immediately.” Hunt was cut from the Chiefs hours later.

On a different note: Feminism has been a hot topic throughout the nation for the past few decades, but it has heated up even more over the past two years under President Trump. Feminists claim to believe in “gender equality,” but as of today, all citizens of the United States have the same rights. “Gender equality” therefore pertains more to how women and men are treated. Women are generally viewed as the weaker gender, but feminists have been trying to change that.

While Kareem Hunt was definitely in the wrong for fighting her, she was also in the wrong too.”

Now to tie these two ideas together: media representation of Kareem Hunt’s fight with this woman has been very slanted. Words like “Brutalizes” and “assault” have been used to describe what he did to her, but no one talks about what she did to him. As seen in the video, she instigated the fight with whatever she said verbally to him. She also fought back, so he was not “assaulting” a defenseless person. She even charged at him during several points in the fight. While Kareem Hunt was definitely in the wrong for fighting her, she was also in the wrong too.

Women want equal representation. Representation is not always good. This woman fought a football player, which is obviously, not good. “Victimizing” this woman as if she was “brutally assaulted” is false, because she played her part in it too. If women want the media to treat them as equals with men, they need the media to report on the good and bad of women. Too frequently, men are pointed out as the aggravators constantly raping and assaulting women, but the same goes for women. Let’s not forget, men can be attacked and sexually assaulted too. While in this case, Kareem Hunt was much stronger than the woman, that isn’t always true.  Gender equality is good and bad. While you gain an equal societal view, you lose the “women can do nothing wrong” view as well.

Equality demands for both people to be punished equally.”

Kareem Hunt is currently facing a 6 game or potentially longer suspension for his actions. He has apologized for his part in the violence, but I firmly believe that the woman should apologize too. She instigated the occurrence when Kareem Hunt looked like he was trying to talk it out with her. Hunt should either be penalized less for his part, or this woman should be penalized too. She committed verbal assault. While she lost the fight, she still participated in it. Equality demands for both people to be punished equally.

About the Writer
Nathan Holmes, Spear CEO

Nathan is a junior on the Varsity Spear. He is in the midst of his 3rd year with the Spear and his first year as a Spear Co-CEO (With Olivia Janicek) and...